Friday, May 8, 2009

A rant about diversity

An interesting thing happened to me over the weekend. I was approached by two students, one with a camera, and another with questions. They asked me if I could talk about diversity with them for a couple minutes. I did. Towards the end of the Q & A session, I was asked, "What makes you diverse?" I was stumbled by the question, and it took me almost a minute before I could sputter out a tidbit for an answer. The truth is, I have no idea what makes me diverse. Let's face it: I'm white, blonde, light-eyed and female, which is the technical majority, especially on college campuses. What is so diverse about me? If judging by looks: absolutely nothing.

For a while, I didn't believe in diversity, mostly because of this article from The Greatest Page in the Universe (Warning: NOT politically correct!). After the interview, I was reminded of this article and revisited it. I can see Maddox's point. By calling people "diverse," it's pointing out that the person is different. I agree with him in the sense that calling people diverse simply because of their skin color or sex is wrong, but that doesn't mean we should ignore people's differences completely. If we judge diversity on looks, I'm considered the majority and should feel no conflict with society ever. But that's not true, there are aspects about me that I have troubling relating to others.

For instance, my name is Melisa. Not Melissa, or even Mellisa. People assume my name has either two s's or two l's, so they don't bother listening when I tell them that's not the case. Even the people who created my credit card. Whoops. Also, I'm left-handed. Ten percent of the population is left handed. Though that equates to about 30 million people in the United States, sometimes I think society assumes only 30 people are this way. You couldn't imagine how many times in elementary school I was yelled at by teachers because I couldn't use right-handed scissors and they thought I was only being snobby and trying to get the "nicer" scissors.

It's not just in aspects I can't control either. I'm diverse by choice, so to say. I'm a blonde, hard-working, relatively social dean's list student that has never once picked up a drug who happens to love heavy metal music. Though the scene is growing, especially with women, this has yet to effect my friends and most people around me. I have missed out on dozens of concerts because I had no one to go with. It's frustrating sometimes, but it can have it's perks in unexpected ways. Desparately trying to avoid having to listen to my iPod, my friends often offer to drive when we go places, even if it's never to a metal concert.

3 comments:

  1. Melisa, I think diversity is something we all know about, but rarely take the time to think about. I think an important aspect of diversity is based on looks, although, that is not the only important aspect of being diverse.

    My name is also different, and most people ignore the fact that my name is unlike others and often don't bother to say it or spell it correctly. I definitely agree that what makes us diverse is often by choice - our work ethic, manners, activities we enjoy and what we believe in. Your post was nicely written, thanks for sharing!

    Marika

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa (HA, just kidding, Melisa),

    I really enjoyed reading your blog.
    When I read the question you were presented with, I also had a hard time thinking of how I'm diverse. My name is spelled the one of two ways Molly(Mollie)is usually spelled, and I don’t really look unique. I don't really think I have any wild qualities that make me different, but I do think that a lot of the things I choose to do and how I act make me diverse.

    I think it’s cool that you're left handed; I've actually always been envious of left-handed people, don’t ask me why.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melisa,
    I think a lot of people in America lately are trying to embrace diversity just for the sake of diversity. They see Americans (especially young Americans our age) being criticized for acting like clone copies of each other and so all of a sudden everyone is trying to embrace some kind of heritage or "odd" belief to be different. I think trying to be diverse just for the sake of it is just as dumb as being a clone. As cliche as it is, people should just be who they are. If we stopped caring what other people thought of us so much, that would be a lot easier.
    Also. I am also left handed! Did you know we have a higher risk of death because they don't make left handed power tools, so we are more likely to hurt ourselves with them? And I also listen to heavy metal music. People are always surprised by that when they learn that of me, too. I feel your pain about not having anyone to go to shows with!

    ReplyDelete