Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Project Proposal

For my research paper, I would like to look at the cultural myth of the dumb blonde. I chose this topic because it's one that hits close to home, not only to me, but I think everyone in the class as well. As a blonde, I always endured the jokes and the assumptions. The only place people really believed my intelligence was at school, where I could prove my intellect with grades. I think this topic would not only interest my blonde peers (because it relates to them), but nonblonde others too, since they may have been blonde in the past, and have the option of becoming blonde if they so choose. Also, this topic has seem to make a comeback in recent media, with the growing popularity of celebrities like Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie, and most notably, Jessica Simpson. This myth is one of our generation, that I think would interest my peers.

Specifically, I thinking about looking into the origins of the myth and why the myth is still believed today, even though most blondes are unnatural and we have many counter examples to the myth. (Hiliary Clinton, for example.) Also, I might include some connections to the dumb blonde myth to the dumb Polack myth, since a good portion of the country is (naturally) blonde and the myth used to be widely believed. However, I haven't found too many sources concerning that area, so I might not be able to include it. However, I did find this blonde map of Europe I thought was really interesting.

For sources, I've actually found a bunch scholary articles concerning the dumb blonde myth (mostly from Women's Studies experts), and more than one New York Times article. Most are fairly recent, and talk about the rebirth of the myth in correlation of the popularity of the celebrities I previously mentioned.

My course schedule this quarter is really spread out, so I will mostly be working on this in mainly hour and a half chunks during the day. However, my job is a very convienant place for me to get school work done (I'm working right now!), especially on the weekends, so I will have 3 or 4 hour chunks to get some work done. However, my boyfriend is visiting from the 15th - 22nd, so that will probably alter my schedule dramatically.

Overall, my goals of the project is to discuss the cultural myth of the dumb blonde, and see what effects artifical hair coloring (or the media, or Polish ancestry) have on the myth.

3 comments:

  1. Melisa-

    Great subject! I see why this important to you, but I also think it is important for everyone. In our society many people make snap judgments that are highly unfair, it will be interesting to examine the origins of such a ridiculous stereotype that is based upon the color of someone's hair!

    I think that you have a great focus and that everyone can relate to this specific facet of human nature. I think that this class is a great target audience and even people both above and below this age bracket would relate as well.

    I think that your particular focus on the origins of this myth and its perpetuation in today's day and age is a great way to keep you on track.

    The extension of your topic into the idea of artificial hair is certainly relevant and interesting but you may find that you have enough material for this size paper with just origins and society's perpetuation of the dumb blonde assertion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melisa,

    I think that this cultural myth will be an interesting one to deconstruct.

    1. I think you have a clear myth to deconstruct. You will be taking the stereotype that blonds are stupid and examining the origins of this though process as well as using specific exemplars. I think it will be excellent to show that the stereotype does exist in people such as Jessica Simpson and Paris Hilton. It will also be great to show how it is not a rule considering there are several intelligent blond people out there.

    2. As a potential member of your audience, I am very interested in your cultural myth. I think it will be good to trace the history of this myth as well as examine popular culture for examples.

    3. I think the scope for this proposal is appropriate. I think you can easily tackle it in an 8-10 page paper. Just make sure you keep the focus narrow enough and I think you will do great.

    4. I think it would be interesting to incorporate why women dye their hair blond in relation to the cultural myth of the dumb blond. I think interviews and video clips would enhance your essay and presentation.

    Hope this helps!

    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa,
    I am SO excited to see where you take this essay. Being a blonde myself (and having been one my entire life), I'm definitely familiar with this stereotype and the myths that surround it.I think that the media does in fact play a large role in how society perceives blondes and using Pamela Anderson and Jessica Simpson as evidence for your testament is a great idea. Maybe you can go on the internet and cite examples where they're blonde bimboness (is that a word?---chalk that one up to me being blonde I guess haha)is evident and explain the circumstances behind they're statements. Are they indeed faking or is this the way that they are naturally? I think that examining the myth of the blonde in other countries is also important because I'm not really sure if it is the same there? I'm excited to read your essay and can't wait to see what you come up with! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete