Saturday, April 18, 2009

Connections between "The Pacific Era has Arrived" and "Dear Miye"

"The Pacific Era has Arrived" by Eiichiro Azuma brought forth an argument on the Japanese government's intentions for Nisei from 1932-1941 I never expected. I don't know why I didn't expect it -- a country's true intentions, especially in a time of war, are always suspicious -- but I guess I never thought about while reading Dear Miye. However, while reading this essay, I noticed many claims that could relate to Mary's life and letters. Some include:

- Japan's Ministry of Education's 1932 directive that ordered Nisei to "be 'treated as Japanese citizens.'" probably had something to do with Mary's proclamations in one of her letters that said Japan welcomes foreigners. Seems here that Japan's propaganda is working on Mary...

- The essay stated that Waseda International Institute, one of the school's Mary attended while in Japan, was composed mostly of the "elite" Nisei. It is interesting to think of Mary, our beloved narrator (at least beloved by me) as an elitist. This forces me to see a different side of Mary, a side that points to the passages where she writes about how she's never been a victim of racial discrimination in America and her parents were farm owners. This puts me in a similar position as I felt while reading Bookseller when I begin to doubt the overall accuracy of these lifestyles because the stories I read about them contain people exempt from the majority.

- When I read that "a vast majority of students did not partake in the decision-making process" concerning their study in Japan, I immediately thought back to the wire Mary's parents sent her a wire telling her to stay in Japan. Mary was concerned about it for a few days, thinking something terrible had happened, when all along they just wanted her to stay to study more. I thought this was a rash and controlling move on Mary, since she states clearly in her previous letters, she wanted to go home.

Did you guys find any other connections?

1 comment:

  1. Melisa,

    The same thing crossed my mind when I was reading Riverbend’s blogs. How is she staying anonymous this entire time? I feel like since she decided to keep herself unknown for obvious reasons, such as for the safety of her and her family, and possibly so she could speak more freely about her current situation.

    I don’t know about you, but her not reveling her identity almost makes her more credible in my eyes. I feel like she wouldn’t waste her time on a blog that controversial and not want any credit for it, and it’s especially impressive that she didn’t want to make money off of it.

    ReplyDelete