Wednesday, April 1, 2009

An introduction

Hello all, and welcome to my ENG 284 blog. My name is Melisa Michael. I am probably in only freshman in the class, but I know I am one of many journalism majors in English 284. My specialization is online. I took this course on an impulse. I was looking at possible courses and saw this class, fell in love, and rearranged my schedule to fit it. So far, I'm not disappointed.

Now, on to my blog.

Growing up as the daughter of a working mother, I've always been a feminist. But as a student in the second most diverse public school in northeastern Ohio, I've also been accepting of different ways of living. (It's Twinsburg, the school I went to, by the way. Our Vice Principal once stated my previous statistic during an announcement, but I cannot vouch on it's actual validity.)

So when I learned of the treatment of women in the Middle East, I was constrained. To me, the blatant sexism of the culture is unacceptable and intolerable. However, I knew it's a part of their culture and something Middle Eastern women have dealt with for generations. I assumed that, with a few exceptions, the women just put up with it and lived subservient to men.

By reading Bookseller, however, I see that this is not the case in modern Afghanistan. Though I am still outraged of the severe objectification of women in the country, I am proud to see many women are not subservient, and realize they have a right to live freely like men. My favorite feminist in the book is Bibi Gul. Even as an elder, she still is fervent to make sure Shakila is still able to work when she is married.

I picked Bibi as my favorite over, say Suhaila Seddiq, because even though she was courageous and strong for what she did, Bibi is making small progress in a country where many of it's inhabitants don't want to see change at all. I like her especially because she is elderly and from a generation one would not expect women to speak out. Bibi is a surprise feminist who cares not only about the rights of herself, but her fellow females.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Melisa!

    I completely agree with you that the treatment of women in Afghanistan is absolutely unacceptable.

    It is important to remember that different cultures accept different types of behavior. That doesn't necessarily mean that it is right to treat women as second rate citizens!

    Whenever I saw women in The Bookseller of Kabul defy the expectations and demands men placed on them, I felt a sense of relief. I have to agree that it was refreshing to see that some women are challenging the sexist behavior.

    I'm interested to see how the women in this book continue to progress and how the story unfolds, as well.

    ReplyDelete